BBC Holistic Health and Wellness
Fit for Christ Goals:
- To raise awareness and educate on the importance of reducing common risk factors, preventing and managing chronic diseases and conditions.
- To provide resources equipping the congregation with the proper tools to manage their health.
In the upcoming church bulletin in recognition of March as National Nutrition Month a modified version of the following info will be inserted in the church bulletin that could also be posted on BBC’s web site.
Celebrate National Nutrition Month with the Fit for Christ Health and Wellness Ministry. It’s time to take action and begin to make healthy food choices and habits.
THE FACTS ABOUT OVERWEIGHT AND OBESITY
- 61% of adults in the United States were overweight or obese .
- 13% of children aged 6 to 11 years and 14% of adolescents aged 12 to 19 years were overweight. This prevalence has nearly tripled for adolescents in the past 2 decades.
- The increases in overweight and obesity cut across all ages, racial and ethnic groups, and both genders.
- 300,000 deaths each year in the United States are associated with obesity.
- Overweight and obesity are associated with heart disease, certain types of cancer, type 2 diabetes, stroke, arthritis, breathing problems, and psychological disorders, such as depression.
- The economic cost of obesity in the United States was about $117 billion in 2000.
Choose healthy nutrition steps that work for you and start today.
- Enjoy your food,but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions
Foods to Increase
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk
Foods To Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals-and choose the foods with the lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
- Join the Pastor’s Fit for Christ monthly walk March 12th at 8:00am at the Ambler YMCA
For more info on the Dietary Guidelines go to: www.dietaryguidlines.gov